Monday, August 30, 2010

Keeping the faith.

I did manage to get in some skating time this weekend. I was very sick all day long on Friday but Saturday morning I slept in and felt much better for it. I skated a bit on the running track Sunday morning, into a significant windstorm. This was more trouble than it was worth. The track is a very grippy surface, and I skate there to build leg strength. Working against the grip of the track and into the wind, I managed to tweak my knee a little.
As I was headed home, I got a gleeful call from my baby sister (who's half my age). She just got some rollerblades at a yard sale and desperately wants to try them out. Who does she call? Her wanna-be rollergirl sister. I can't turn down a chance to skate on a rink for free. That's silliness! So Lil sis comes over and spends some time with me and my family, which is helpful to her as she needs to stay away from some bad influences in her life...but that's a whole separate issue, which I will not post on da interwebz for the whole world to read. That's her story, not mine. ANYWAY... She spends a few hours with us then the two of us go skating. She spent most of her time trying to help some kidsthat were trying to skate and failing miserably. I spent most of mine doing my best to do laps on the taped derby track. I had placed my arch supports in my skates (for once I remembered them) and my feet were killing me after about 20 minutes. I don't know what it is about my skates that's that different from my work shoes but, damn.
So, I guess I am rambling again.
Anyway, I think I am getting about 3-4 laps per minute right now, which ain't bad considering I coast around corners since I can't crossover yet. I am comfortable with that for now. I think I'll have the five in one once I learn how to crossover. I have some anxiety over 25 in 5 though. My endurance hasn't always been the best. I have a lot to learn and tryouts are coming way too soon. I have a lot of skills to learn, but I have faith in myself. I know I can learn stops, falls, balance and all the other basic skills. *crosses fingers* I guess Rule # 1 applies to me also. Cardio. Learn it, live it, love it(ish).

3 comments:

  1. I love it(ish), the cardio, I mean. You'll do it, and kick the butt's of all the newbies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're doing all the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're making good progress! way to go!

    I am so fascinated by this whole endeavor - I love reading about it!

    ReplyDelete